Meridian High Alumni Message Board

A Gathering Place for MHS Alumni of All Ages and All Friends of Meridian
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:00 pm 

Perhaps the most loved person in Meridian when I was growing up was Uncle Jimmy Short. He ran his snowball and ice cream truck through Meridian's neighborhoods, bringing sweets, excitement, and love to Meridian's children.

The children of Meridian waited excitedly to hear the bell announcing his arrival. We'd scream with glee and run out to meet him. His snowballs, ice cream, and later pickles were always delicious. They were highlights of our days and our childhoods. Those times are some of our fondest memories.

I don't think that I ever did it, but I remember seeing others run behind the fogging machines, following them down the street. I never could quite understand why that was so much fun. We didn't know it then, but that was a worse health hazard than we ever imagined.

Another fond memory is of our trips around our neighborhoods and around the city. We'd walk or ride our bikes everywhere. Some nights, some of us would ever walk with our mothers on Meridian's wonderful sidewalks. Sometimes, we'd walk for quite a distance. Today, that would be too dangerous.

Would any of you like to share what you consider highlights of growing up in Meridian?

I thank my God in my every remembrance of you, Meridian, and the wonderful childhoods some of us had.