Meridian High Alumni Message Board

A Gathering Place for MHS Alumni of All Ages and All Friends of Meridian
It is currently Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HIGHLAND PARK
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:15 am 

"The High Diving Board At The Park" topic already has some discussion of the park. It might be good to have a separate topic for all of our other Highland Park memories.

I took swimming lessons there twice. The first time I took them when I was elementary school age. In high school, I took them to encourage my cousin, Dr. Bill East, so he wouldn't have to take them without someone he knew.

That summer, Bill and I volunteered to help our teacher each week with handicapped kids taking swimming lessons. Once one of them emerged, reached up into my arms, and uncontrollably spit right in my face. Even then, it was a rewarding experience. Bill says that I try to give the impression that we were doing something great, but the truth was that we just wanted to see our beautiful teacher in her bathing suit. Bill's explanation might be more accurate than mine.

Of course, the Dentzel Carousel is a fond memory for all of us. It was really exciting, as a kid, to try to outrun everyone else to get there first and ride your favorite animal. At our 1995 Class Reunion, some of us rode the carousel. I was disappointed that none of them go up and down any more.

My brother Spud, our father John, and I played Church League softball there. Those games were competitive, exciting, and fun. The night that East End Methodist beat 15th Avenue Baptist, and Daddy's good friend, their manager Lucky Bryant, was one of the highlights of Daddy's life. Somehow, we talked Frank Cochran into letting me play shortly before my 15th birthday, contrary to the rules at the time. That's the only time I remember ever bending any rules. 15th Avenue and First Baptist recruited players from all over the city. Of course, they signed them up for Sunday School first.

Industrial League fast pitch softball was fun to watch. Coach Billy Allgood was an outstanding pitcher. Southern Pipe had one of the better teams.

Babe Ruth League baseball played on its field on the edge of the park. I loved watching Sonny Fisher, R.V. Skelton, Charlie Gray, and others play there. One Sunday afternoon, someone hit a high popup behind home plate. At the crack of the bat, my mother starting yelling, "It's gonna hit me, it's gonna hit me." Unbelievably, several of us stood up and watch the ball's entire flight, until it came down and hit mother on the top of her head. She was not seriously hurt, but the rest of us looked and felt silly.

We had family and church gatherings there. We enjoyed eating under the pavilions and playing country jake afterward.

Many times we would swim in the pool and then eat a snowball at that wonderful snowball stand. The duck pond, alligators, swings, seesaws, barbecue pits, and the jungle gym also bring back fond memories.

The Kendallwood Play School was also at Highland Park. I know nothing about it, except that I saw it there. I never even went inside.

What fond memories do you have of Highland Park?

I thank my God in my every remembrance of you, Meridian, and the wonderful childhoods some of us had.

Last edited by Jeff East on Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:46 pm 

I remember petting the deer, and looking at the bears. I was a wild kid on the swings. There were alligators and I saw my first peacock there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:29 am 

Jeff,

I remember all the things you mentioned, but the thing that comes to my mind most often, is the smell of the heavily clorinated water you walked through to get to the pool. Strange....some of the things we remember.

Post subject: Highland Park Swimming
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:00 pm 

Hey Jimmy; I lost my Virginity in the Highland Park Pool, need I say more as to why they needed the clorine.

Jimbob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:40 pm 

Jimbob, alias Rock

I'm sure glad you let us in on that piece of info...... now we know that you had clean feet when you lost your virginity. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:40 pm 

I THINK THAT WAS JUST A TAD BIT MORE INFO THAN I NEEDED TO KNOW. :oops:

Aspire To Inspire Before You Expire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:45 am 

Yeah, Jimbob, you should've "watered" that down a little.

I thank my God in my every remembrance of you, Meridian, and the wonderful childhoods some of us had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:53 am 

I wish I had a nickel for every time I dove from the high board at Highland Park swimming pool..Claire Weddington and I put on an exibition at the pool for some event Bob Kelley was doing for the city P and R. Jimmy, I think the chlorine still prevents me from having athlete's foot....

Jeff, I played for Southern Pipe for several years in the fast pitch league...We did have a good team....But those that remember a pitcher from the base named Heiss will remember one of the best ever...We also got to play an exibition game against The King and His Court at Highland Park......Wow, what great memories. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:54 pm 

Mike, I watched Southern Pipe play many times. Was it Cecil Herring who worked and pitched for them?

I think I watched y'all play The King and His Court that game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:39 pm 

WAYNE WAS A CATCHER FOR SOUTHERN PIPE UNTIL SOMEONE HIT HIM SLIDING IN & BROKE HIS COLLAR BONE IN SEVERAL PLACES & HE HAD TO HAVE A RUSH PIN PUT IN IT. NO MORE CATCHING FOR HIM.

Post subject: Highland Park Pool
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:18 pm 

Just going back and reading some stuff that I missed due to the hurricane. Jim Bob, I sincerely hope that I was not there the day you lost "it" IN THE POOL and I hope that I stayed away several days afterward too!

That is one heckuva story. Maybe you should share it with some of us - - - on e-mail of course and not on the message board. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:47 am 

Just reading some things again as well.... question: Where were the other swimmers when you lost "it" in the pool???? Don't get too graphic....we get that part, just wondering about all the other swimmers...
:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:41 am 

An AWFUL lot of things happened in that pool. JIMBOB isn't the only one.

Charlie Haguewood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:55 pm 

WOW, NOW THE TRUTH COMES OUT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:27 pm 

Linda Dickens wrote:
Just reading some things again as well.... question: Where were the other swimmers when you lost "it" in the pool???? Don't get too graphic....we get that part, just wondering about all the other swimmers...
:lol: :lol:

They were all standing at the edge of the pool giggling and pointing. :oops:

Post subject: Park Pool
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:19 pm 

And all this time I thought the most exciting thing at the Highland Park Pool was jumping off the high board.

Hmmmmmm ...... Where were the other swimmers while this was going on? Where were the lifeguards?

Sounds like Jim Bob wasn't the only one into "water sports." I must have been very naive 'cause I thought most all the action took place at the Royal Drive-In or the Meridian Drive-In.

I guess I just missed out on it all! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:53 pm 

Jumping off the high board was exciting. :shock: I guess it all depends on what you were jumping on. :oops:

Post subject: Pool
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:41 pm 

Dent if that's the way JimBob lost "it," then he had to be "quick like a rabbit."

I still think JimBob needs to explain to the rest of the world how he accomplished such a feat in the pool at Highland Park. Say! Wasn't the pool open at night (with lights) back in the good old days. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:06 pm 

remember the petting zoo next door? Moo? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:29 am 

Ooooooooooh... Ooooooooh, I do, I do :!: (jumping up and down, waving my arm in the air).
But then again, it was at night and I was petting someone... oops, I mean something else.... :mrgreen:
The the MPD rolled up and told us to go home... so we did...
Yeah right. :roll:
Hey, when I was in school down in New Orleans we always had alot of fun at night watching the "Submarine Races". Did any of ya'll do that in Meridian?