Meridian High Alumni Message Board

A Gathering Place for MHS Alumni of All Ages and All Friends of Meridian
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Meridian Trivia
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:56 pm 

Back by popular demand!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:57 am 

There was a gingerbread house in someone's backyard in the early 50's. It was out in the Northwood or Marion Park area. Where was it?

I don't know the answer. I'm asking. I think that Dent answered this earlier, but I've forgotten. How 'bout it, folks?

I thank my God in my every remembrance of you, Meridian, and the wonderful childhoods some of us had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:48 pm 

WAS IT DR. GUS RUSH ? I THINK HE HAD ONE IN THE FRONT AT CHRISTMAS TIME.

Aspire To Inspire Before You Expire

Post subject: Complete and Tuxado
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:08 am 

Where were the boundries of Complete and Tuxado and why did they name these sections of Meridian as such?

Jimbob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:02 am 

Jimbob,

I considered 22nd Avenue as the dividing line between South Side and Tuxedo. The railroad tracks was the boundry to the north. B Street ran thru Tuxedo, on which Tuxedo Elementary School was located. I was a playteacher at Tuxedo in my senior year, along with my fellow South Sider Tony Palmer. Coach Owen's wife taught 5th grade there. Tuxedo was a nice little neighborhood.

That's my best description, but others may have different ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:08 am 

HEY JIMMY, GLAD YOU ARE BACK. CARL FINALLY GOT OUT OF THE HOSPITAL LAST FRIDAY AFTER AN EIGHT WEEK STAY. HE IS HOME IN FLORIDA NOW RESTING. DID YOU HAVE ANY DAMAGE FROM THE STORM ?

Post subject: Complete
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:39 pm 

Thanks Jimmy; That takes care of Tuxado. Does someone know the boundries of Complete?

Jimbob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:05 am 

Jimbob..I am racking my memory re complete..It seems to me that the area close to the old creosote plant was called complete...I may be way off base but I do remember the complete name.... :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:13 am 

No, Mike, that wasn't where Complete was. I'm not sure of the exact boundaries, but I know there is a marker, giving the history of Complete, across from East Mississippi State Hospital.

Actually, I think Martha Boswell has called the bus which used to turn from State Blvd. going up Royal Road the "Complete" bus. It was called the "5th Street/45th Avenue" bus by the time I started riding it to town when I was a teenager.

But, anyway, I think that end of town from Royal Road down State Blvd. to Highland Park was Complete.

I've always mispronounced it, and my mother always has to correct me, saying that "it's pronounced 'COMpleat' with the accent on the first syllable, instead of 'ComPLETE'." You'd think I'd learn. Guess not.
:roll:

"The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed." -- Nicholas Chamfort

Last edited by Donna Jordon on Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:13 am 

I'll bet that Martha does. Martha, oh, Martha!

Isn't it interesting that Meridianites mispronounce both of them? We say "Com-pleat" not "Come-pleat" and "Tux-e-do" not "Tux-seed-a". Come to think of it, our pronunciations appear more correct phonetically.

I thank my God in my every remembrance of you, Meridian, and the wonderful childhoods some of us had.

Last edited by Jeff East on Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:16 am 

Jimbob..I am racking my memory re complete..It seems to me that the area close to the old creosote plant was called complete...I may be way off base but I do remember the complete name.... :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:21 am 

Oh well :!: re Complete :oops: :oops:
Little known fact...Who played for the 1943 Moss Specials that began his career (selling comodes..hint)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:46 am 

SAMMY DAVIDSON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:04 pm 

Mike, my father, John F. East was a pitcher/2nd baseman on that team. Other team members were Pap Williams, Sr. and a Holbrook, probably Chris Holbrook's father. Someone else mentioned on this site that their father was on the team. For the life of me, I can't remember who said it.

We have a team picture. Mother submitted it, and it was published in one of the Pictorial Histories of Meridian. Mother quoted Daddy as saying that they let him on the team because he had his own car to transport them to games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:29 pm 

COMPleat is the correct pronunciation for complete. donna we also had a 5th/45th bus in the old days also. sonny did not have a car so we did most of our courting on the bus. what fond memories.

the moss specials - my late father-in-law cecil boswell played on that team and is in the picture jeff's mother has. we also have a copy of it. for some reason he is in street clothes in the picture. he is on the front row kneeling on one knee and has a hat on.

life may not be the party we hoped for but we may as well dance while we are here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:54 pm 

1943 Moss Specials..Dough Rawlings,? McAllister,Pap Williams,Fred Stroble,Marcus Beddingfield,Joe Knight,Bob Key,Cecil Boswell,Malbry Holbrook,? Trent,John East,Monk Poythress,John Moss,?Snell,Ralph Mcnair,Sammie Davidson....

Frank Baker was a great baseball player as Johnny was a football player..Frank had quite a temper...or will to win..When I was coaching at West Lauderdale we beat Meridian and Frank was quite upset at the little country school beating them...We did have a great team and a great pitcher( Gressett ) that threw a one hitter against them..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:01 pm 

Martha...My mother and I lived on 31st Ave in a rental house owned by Mrs Shanks....A Mrs Boswell lived there and had a son named Cecil, Robert? and daughter Eloise...Where they the same Boswells as Sonny's......

Last edited by mlc sr on Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:48 pm 

Well, I started posting a reply and hit the wrong key and oops, I was in Cyber Space..Anyway, I was going to say that the Joe Knight mentioned in the post about the Moss Specials was "Jug's" older brother. He was a great athlete in his time and was killed on Okinawa at the end of World War II. Joe Knight who played football and baseball at Meridian High in the late 50's was his son (also a great athlete). I think the ? Snell you mentioned might be Reese Snell who was called "Ape" when he was young. If so, he is still living and lives here in Hattiesburg. However, he has Alzheimer's now but Caroline, his wife, still brings him to all the basketball and baseball games at Hattiesburg High.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:25 pm 

Thanks Anne..I recalled Reese right after my post...I was trying to remember if he was related to Jerry that we attended school with...I played golf with Joe and Pap williams at Lakeview many years ago....Jug probably does not remember me but he was a favorite coach of mine...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:22 am 

Mike, you said, "We did have a great team and a great pitcher (Gressett) that threw a one hitter against them." Who was that? My maiden name is Gressett. Just curious.

"The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed." -- Nicholas Chamfort

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next