Meridian High Alumni Message Board

A Gathering Place for MHS Alumni of All Ages and All Friends of Meridian
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:36 pm 

I enjoyed a burger from the Orange Bowl and I could detect sausage in
the hamburger meat. I tried to duplicate the taste using Mosby,jimmy Dean and several other brands but never came close. Do any of you have any ideas as to the brand of sausage Lucky used in his burgers?

Jimbob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:35 am 

It had a distinctive flavor to it. Try the Jimmy Dean Sage sausage. I am assuming that he used a "local" product, but he may have dicovered my favorite place in Crystal Springs and bought it in bulk. The sausage at Wilson's Meat Market does remind me of those burgers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:32 am 

WE MIXED ABOUT A THIRD OF SAUSAGE WITH THE HAMBURGER MEAT. IT WAS GOOD & PRETTY CLOSE. YOU HAVE TO DO THE ONIONS & BUNS ON THE GRIDDLE ALSO. :wink:

Aspire To Inspire Before You Expire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:04 pm 

As I've mentioned several times before, Lucky and Marie Bryant were like family to the East family.

The Orange Bowl was on Daddy's Hardin's Bread route in the '50s. I first met Lucky and Marie when I rode with Daddy on his route, which was a treat the few times I did it. Some of those buns y'all ate my Daddy delivered to Lucky from his bread truck.

One time, I visited Lucky in the VA Hospital in Jackson. Many times we watched him manage the 15th Avenue Baptist Church men's softball team, especially when they played East End. Back then, 15th Avenue and First Baptist were the two best teams. The happiest I ever saw Daddy was the night East End beat 15th Avenue.

Maybe I shouldn't say this, but the main reason 15th Avenue and FBC were the two best teams was the fact that they recruited players who did not attend their church. Back then, East End didn't do that. Later on, I believe it did. Right, John Harwell? :D :o :P :wink:

I thank my God in my every remembrance of you, Meridian, and the wonderful childhoods some of us had.

Post subject: East family
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:20 pm 

Hey Jeff:

I thought your father worked for the Post Office and had a rout in Oakland Hights rather than working for a bakery. Why did I think he was a postman?

Jimbob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:20 am 

Because he was both, at different times. :D :o :P :

First, he was a bread route salesman for Smith's Bakery, then at Hardin's. He became a postman later, and that was the happiest time of his life.

Uncle Rat, Daddy's brother's and Dr. Bill East's father, also had a route at Smith's Bakery. After that, he was a carpenter for Glascock for many years. His real name was William. I'm named William for Uncle Rat and Jefferson for Uncle Jeff Luke, Mother's brother.

Thanks for asking.

I thank my God in my every remembrance of you, Meridian, and the wonderful childhoods some of us had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 am 

I don't know why I never went to the Orange Bowl, but I sure did enjoy a lotta good burgers at Chaney's, both at his old and "new" place!! We used to have our laundry done next to Chaney's "old" place. My friend Mike Parker used to pick up the papers for his route at Chaney's. Chaney had a good pinball machine, too. Gimme a couple of Chaney's burgers and let me win a "free game" on the pinball machine...Good Fun!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:58 am 

Bill, where is Coldwater, Mississippi?

Where is Hot Coffee, Mississippi? Stella Stevens, the actress, was supposedly from Hot Coffee.

Stella was in quite a few movies, including several with Dean Martin, and appeared on his TV show a lot.

THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS FROM WIKIPEDIA

Stella Stevens was born in Yazoo City, Mississippi, on October 1, 1938 as Estelle Caro Eggleston.

She is an American film, television and stage actress, who began her acting career in 1959. She is a film producer, director and pin-up girl. the only child of Dovey Estelle (née Caro) and Thomas Ellett Eggleston. She married electrician Noble Herman Stephens on December 1, 1954, (AT only 16!), probably in Memphis, Tennessee, with whom she had her only child, actor/producer Andrew Stevens. Andrew was a regular on TV's "Dallas".

Stevens was Playboy Magazine's Playmate of the Month for January 1960 (and had featured pictorials in 1965 and 1968). Stevens was in the 100 sexiest stars of the 20th Century (#27). During the 1960s, she was one of the ten most photographed women in the world.

Stevens appeared in dozens of TV shows and was a regular on the 1981-1982 primetime soap opera "Flamingo Road". She teamed with the late Sandy Dennis in a touring production of an all-female version of Neil Simon's The Odd Couple, playing the messy one. She had a contract role on NBC's daytime drama Santa Barbara as Phyllis Blake from 1989 to 1990.

THAT'S PROBABLY MORE THAN YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT STELLA STEVENS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:07 pm 

Coldwater is about 25 miles south of Memphis near I-55, South of Hernando, North of Senatobia. It's the only place I know where you can take a hot shower in Cold-water. We are refugees from Cordova ( a suburb of Memphis). We figured by moving this far South of Memphis, if we heard gunfire, it would probably be squirrel hunters instead of gangbangers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:02 am 

I was transfered to Memphis in 1974. What an experience! That was the first year Memphis schools suffered desegregation, and the schools were hit with white flight. We bought a home in the Whitehaven neighborhood, across the street from the Memphis airport. Had to drive one of my daughters to a private school located 17 miles from our home. The other two kids had to go to public schools. My son, in the ninth grade at that time, would come home and say he was learning nothing, and that the teacher would set at her desk and cry. Four months after moving there we had a home built about 3 miles to the south, but across the state line, in Southhaven, Mississippi. Still had to work in downtown Memphis, but had the peace of mind that the kids were safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:40 pm 

I was under the impression that Hot Coffee was out from Laurel a short ways. In fact, I thought it was near Soso. Soso is on state road 26 about halfway between Laurel and Taylorsville.

Not sure what brought up the name of Stella Stevens, but in my humble opinion she was a babe! I suspect that today she is like many of us -- just old. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:33 pm 

Bob, you are right about Hot Coffee, Miss. It's in Covington County.

Post subject: Hamburgers
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:10 am 

Mississippi Roads ran a TV special on hamburgers and talked about
Tupelo, Mississippi putting flower in the hamburger meat to streach
it out. I can't remember what they called them but it wasn't hamburgers.

Jimbob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:30 am 

Jimbob
I think it may have been the Slugg Burger! There is a place in Booneville that has them as their specialty! Tried one, really didn't care for it! :(

CLASS OF 70

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:25 pm 

If they're made from slugs, I sho' nuff don't wanna eat one. :D :lol: :P :wink:

If they are, the owners must have laughed all the way to the bank.

I'll bet they do have a rather exotic taste.

Post subject: Hamburgers and such
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:26 pm 

Hey Bill:

Where was Chaney's located? I thought I knew of every hamburger place in Meridian. I like Jack's Sandwich Shops hamburgers and he had a special language for the burgers. A hamburger with lettace, tomato and mayonaise only he call a hamburger "Sissy". Sure enjoyed his burgers; he toasted the buns and the lettace and tomato was always fresh and chrisp.

Jimbob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:27 pm 

I think we all need to remember that meat just doesn't have the same flavor or texture that it had when we were growing up. My dad owned a grocery store in Oakland Heights for a while. The hamburger meat was divine, the bologna was so good he could hardly keep a "stick" of it in the store. Animals are just fed differently or something today. To me, sausage doesn't have the same taste. Some of you who know these things speak up or forever wish for those old-timey hamburgers!

About the flour, that does stretch, but also holds meat together and makes it seem "thicker"... sorta like adding crushed crackers when you are making meatloaf...

Post subject: Bologna sandwiches
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:32 am 

Hey Linda:

I have noticed the difference in meats in recent years. Balogna is not as tasty as it use to be and when fried shrink almost in half. I still enjoy a fried bologna and cheese sandwich. My friend, Olie Wilkes would eat a hogs head cheese sandwich. Ug I get sick just thinking of hogs head cheese. Some boiled ham is still tasty but the cost has sure has gone up.
A good ham and cheese sandwich is hard to beat.

Jimbob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:52 pm 

JimBob
Chaney's was on 15th Street at about 22 or 21st ave. The area has been altered by Anderson's expansion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:40 am 

HEY BILL;

DID CHANEY'S SELL HOT TAMALES? I remember someone selling them in a house east of 23rd Avenue. I think it may have been on 19th Street.
Does anyone remember buying hot tamales in this area?

Jimbob