Meridian High Alumni Message Board

A Gathering Place for MHS Alumni of All Ages and All Friends of Meridian
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:04 pm 

Thanks, Dent. That's encouraging.

I thank my God in my every remembrance of you, Meridian, and the wonderful childhoods some of us had.

Post subject: Fresh baked bread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:04 pm 

I remember buying minature loafs of bread when I picked up my papers
for delivery at the Meridian Star Building. They were worm and delicious. I don't remember where they came from or who baked them.

Jim :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:55 pm 

They used to throw those miniature loaves from floats in the pep parades in downtown Meridian. I don't know who baked them either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:42 am 

Hardin's Bakery baked them. We've discussed them here before.

Brother Ed Grayson threw them from a stagecoach, not a float, in the Calf Scramble and other parades. I don't think they were thrown in the pep parades. Brother Grayson was a Baptist minister who worked part-time for Hardin's, and was one of the most loved men in the history of Meridian.

My Father was a bread route salesman for Hardin's Bakery for many years. Prior to that, he did the same thing for Smith's Bakery.

Annie Mae Grayson, Rev. Grayson's daughter, married my Mother's brother, Jake Luke. She was one of the most beautiful creatures God ever created. She was a very special aunt. She and Uncle Jake always looked and acted like two teenagers around each other. They stayed deeply in love all of their lives. It was a wonderful thing to see and a great example.

Aunt Annie Mae's brother, Roy Grayson was killed in action in Korea. I vividly remember Mrs. Grayson sobbing uncontrollably in her home right after he died. I was about 9 years old.

Several years ago, I was honored to carry a poppy up when Roy Grayson's name was announced during the Memorial Day ceremony just outside the Lauderdale County Courthouse.

I thank my God in my every remembrance of you, Meridian, and the wonderful childhoods some of us had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:02 pm 

That stagecoach was owned and driven by my cousin, Johnnie Blanks. He owned Stafford Springs, south of Meridian on Hwy 11, for many years. I used to go down on weekends and work at the dude ranch. He gave rides on the stagecoach there.
I don't know if Stafford Springs is still there or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:20 am 

Irene, I LOVED Stafford Springs. Unfortunately, I drove down that way several years ago and there was practically nothing left. Like so many other good things, it's only a memory now. (I would love to get permission from the current owner to sneak back there and check out the old fishing lake. If it is still there the fish must ne huge!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:01 am 

Irene, last night, I mentioned our discussion about the stagecoach and small bread loaves to my Mother.

I asked her who drove the stagecoach. She guessed Bro. Ed Grayson. I replied, "No, Bro. Grayson was busy throwing the loaves."

Thanks for those bits of information: (1) Johnnie Blanks, your cousin drove the stagecoach; (2) he owned it; and (3) he also owned Stafford Springs.

I remember being at Stafford Springs only once, when I was a very small child. I think that I was only inside the main building that time.

Last edited by Jeff East on Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:41 pm 

Dent, how sad to hear that there is nothing much left of Stafford. Did you notice if the hand pump where you could get the spring water is still there? I'd like to know about the lake, too. You're right....if there are still fish, they are huge!

Jeff, I would love to know what happened to the stagecoach. I know Johnnie sold it but I'm not sure who bought it and what happened to it. I loved to help hitch the horses when he was participating in a parade or exhibition. He also had a collection of carriages that was amazing. He would go up to the Amish auctions in Pennsylvania with Robert Stockett and buy them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:06 pm 

Irene, I would have liked to have seen all of those carriages.

While I lived in Jackson, I met Robert Stockett and I believe his daughter at diffferent times. They had Stockett Stables on the edge of downtown near the State Fairgrounds and the Mississippi Coliseum.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:22 am 

June 4th, 2014 was the first time this year that Lightning Bugs (fireflies) appeared in our backyard.........Summer is officially here....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:43 pm 

My grandfather had a slaughter house In Meridian,you don't ever forget that smell ,especially in the summer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:58 am 

No, I can imagine that was quite a pungent and unpleasant odor. But, the smell of that meat grilling out on a charcoal grill in the summertime was a heavenly aroma. :roll:

"The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed." -- Nicholas Chamfort

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:34 pm 

Anyone remember the aroma from the stockyard on B Street ? Ahh , sweet.

Mitchell Fontan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:33 pm 

Ewwwww. No. Glad that I don't. :)

"The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed." -- Nicholas Chamfort