Meridian High Alumni Message Board

A Gathering Place for MHS Alumni of All Ages and All Friends of Meridian
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:20 pm 

Donna -- One Betbeze brother's name was Arnold. Not sure about the other one. Were there two or three brothers in the market business?

John -- I remember Kleinfeldt's Grocery, or whatever its name was. That section of 28th Avenue (if you were headed south) served somewhat as a ski hop like the dip in the street did over on 16th Street (or was it 17th street) east of 23rd Avenue. I also remember what you are calling a corner door. Ander's Grocery had a similar door. That seemed to be the fashion in the early 20th century when those buildings were built.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:56 am 

Bob, I worked at Allbright & Woods, behind the "SODA FOUNTAIN" (Lunch Counter) in early 40's. They would not let me do any of the sandwich making or cooking. I would squeeze the oranges for Juice and make malted milks, milk shakes, Sundaes,etc. DR. Fred Key was a regular morning customer. He delivered me and always spoke to me and would asked about my health. Mr. Scales was the boss and pharmist(sic)

Charlie Haguewood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:33 pm 

Charlie, et al, that's what I like about the messageboard. The more someone says about things, the more memories it triggers among the readers.

I remember going into Albright and Wood with my maternal grandfather (my best buddy) and getting a Coke or milk shake when I was a pre-schooler, circa 1943 - 1945. Back in those days many folks sorta' slurred the name of Albright and Wood -- It came out as Albrighten Woods. I was a teenager before I knew its correct name!

Charlie, do you or anyone else remember going to a dentist in the old Citizens Bank building across the street from Albright and Wood? His name was Dr. Beavers. He was one of the early dentists to put a kid to sleep to pull a tooth. Don't know if they still do that for anything other than wisdom teeth surgery these days.

I didn't mind it at all. I was asleep in a heartbeat from the anesthetic gas and when I awoke it was all over. By the way, my mom usually would stop in with me at Albright and Wood for a milkshake after a tooth extraction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:38 pm 

Dr. Beavers was not my Dentist, but I remember him. My granddaddy had a law office in the Citizens Bank building after he moved from the Threefoot building. I also worked at the Mississippi Power Billing office down the block and often ate lunch at Allbright & Woods, and Davis Grill. "Jug" was going to college at Livingston, and I walked to work every day from an apt. we had in a big house not too far from downtown. I can't remember our landlady's name right now, but this was before apt. buildings were everywhere and apts. were in homes. Sweet memories!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:11 pm 

Anne! You worked for MPCo in the billing office? I didn't know that. You worked in the billing office when it was near Peavey's Melody Music Company store. MPCo is where I made my career for 32 years.

Here are some names that might be familiar to you....
Bill Combs, Lec Motley, Ann Johnson, Johnnie B. Naylor, Doc Farrell, there was a Boyd fellow in the billing office too, but I can't recall his first name.

Tell you what I have in my possession.....
In about 1972 or so they closed the billing office. All billing was then being done in Atlanta for the Southern Company. They sold off pieces of billing office furniture to employees for a dollar apiece. I bought a small rectangular table that wound up being used by my wife in her classrooms for over 20 years. It's now here at home. I also bought an old steel swivel chair. It's in good shape except that the padding is gone from the seat and the back.

Now about that swivel chair ....
A few years back I discovered a Burroughs Company nameplate on the bottom of it. I contacted the University of Minnesota where a Burroughs museum is maintained. Long story made short, judging by the Burroughs logo on the chair, it was manufactured somewhere between 1905 and 1915. That was at least ten years before MPCo came into being. MPCo was organized on January 1, 1925. So, that means that the swivel chair once belonged to the Meridian Light and Railway Company a predecessor to MPCo.

Small world! We've got to talk about your MPCo experiences one of these times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:52 pm 

Bob, enjoyed your email about Miss Power Co. Can't imagine what it would be like to work in that billing office these days. Love the story about the chair too. Thanks for the memories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:57 pm 

Nothing, and I mean nothing hit you like the smell of the fresh popcorn when you entered the Temple Theater.

Mitchell Fontan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:59 pm 

Nothing, and I mean nothing hit you like the smell of the fresh popcorn when you entered the Temple Theater.

Mitchell Fontan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:58 am 

YOU ARE SO RIGHT MITCH. I ALSO LOVED THE SMELL OF LEATHER IN THE SHOE REPAIR SHOPS.

DOES ANYONE EVER USE SHOE SHOPS IN THIS DAY & TIME ?

Aspire To Inspire Before You Expire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:28 pm 

I loved that smell of the bread at Smith's Bakery. Caused many a miserable hour at good ole Kate Griffin -- that smell hit and you could hardly make it the rest of the afternoon or whenever. Seems I remember it in the afternoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:08 am 

The smell of Nylons coffee being roasted ...... that was a biggie with me. The popcorn and bread too .... but the coffee aroma ... I really miss that.

Post subject: Shoe repair
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:19 am 

Hey Judy;
John Lee Shumate had a shoe repair shop on 26 ave. between 7th and 8th Street and I enjoyed go in his shop and watching him work. I would get a shoe shine at a stand inside his shop and the shine man could pop a rag while shining your shoes. Last of the shoe shops in Meridian.

Jim :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:26 pm 

Speaking of Meridian movie theaters, do y'all remember the drink machines that the Royal had for a while? You put in your money and then punched your selection. Sometimes, no paper cup would drop, and the drink would flow into the drain.

What about the ticket turnstiles? I don't think that they lasted very long.

I preferred the nice ladies who took up tickets and used flashlights when they directed us to our seats in the dark. They knew all of us and would come back and get us when our mothers came back to pick us up.

When we were children, we never went into the theater when a feature started. We just went whenever we wanted to. Then when it got back to that part of the movie, we'd leave and say, "This is where I came in."

The movie plots were very simple. You didn't need to see them from start to finish.

We talked about all of these things on this site, or a previous one, several years ago.

I thank my God in my every remembrance of you, Meridian, and the wonderful childhoods some of us had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:44 pm 

Jeff, we did talk about this before as I mentioned that my Daddy was an usher at the Temple THeater before he became a Federal Marshall (quite a difference). I always like to remember the good old days of dates at the Temple...First date with 'Jug' was to a movie there. In fact I still have the 45 cent ticket stub in my high school scrapbook. LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:17 am 

About the smell of bread baking at Smith's Bakery near KGJH......
I was in the KGJH Band beginning in the seventh grade. Sitting in the stands on Greer field you got the full effect of the smell of bread baking. Right before half time we kids would pool our pocket money, and one or two of the guys would head over to the bakery during half time. Once they got back with the fresh warm bread we had a feast. Usually they bought French bread and we'd just pull pieces off the loaf and pass it around for someone else to pull off a wad of bread. Mmmmmm....good. Making myself hungry right now.

I still need to go by the Meridian Museum of Art to see if the "library smell" is still there.

Post subject: Re: Shoe repair
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:45 am 

Jimbob wrote:
Hey Judy;
John Lee Shumate had a shoe repair shop on 26 ave. between 7th and 8th Street and I enjoyed go in his shop and watching him work. I would get a shoe shine at a stand inside his shop and the shine man could pop a rag while shining your shoes. Last of the shoe shops in Meridian.

Jim :D :D :D

JIMBOB, SHUMATES IS WHO ALWAYS PUT MY TAPS ON MY SHOES FOR DANCING SCHOOL.

Aspire To Inspire Before You Expire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:24 am 

Bob, a year or two ago, I was at The Meridian Downtown (or Sidewalk) Festival or whatever they called it.

I went into the Meridian Museum of Art, which used to be the old Downtown Library. I didn't detect any smell at all. Most, if not all of the library's interior has been remodeled. At least, I think it was.

The library's basement looked pretty primitive.

How about it, Donna? Over the years, you've gone back there to experience the Carnegie Library's distinctive smell. Does any of the building still have it?

I thank my God in my every remembrance of you, Meridian, and the wonderful childhoods some of us had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:30 am 

Jeff, your smeller must have been broken that day. :lol: The instant I enter the front door whenever I'm home, I am transported back in a heartbeat to the library of my youth. I think it still smells exactly the same. :?

"The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed." -- Nicholas Chamfort

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:03 pm 

Donna, I do have some sinus problems.

That 8/1/64 hitchhiking car accident messed them up.

As you know, I smashed the windshield with my face and hit the hood face first at 90 to 110 MPH.

In January 1978, I had very horrible sinus surgery that was unsuccessful. For a week or more, I felt like I was being hit in the nose with a sledgehammer nonstop. I should have sued Saint Dominic's hospital and the surgeon.

I still have lots of trouble breathing. In Sunday School yesterday, I could hear myself breathing deeply.

I probably should have the surgery redone. I suspect that the techniques have improved in the last 33 years.

Has anyone had such sinus surgery recently. If so, what was it, and how did it go? Is it painful and/or expensive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:18 pm 

Jeff, hearing yourself breathing deeply is NOT a bad thing. it's when you do not hear it that you need to take notice. :shock:
I have not had the sinus surgery (but I think it's down the road for me too), but if the proceedures have improved as much as the differance between my brother's bypass surgery many years ago and mine this year, then the new sinus surgery will probably be a cake walk!! I have heard that they do not have the bleeding problems that they used to have and the post-op pain is MUCH less. Not to mention how much the pain meds have improved!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next