Meridian High Alumni Message Board

A Gathering Place for MHS Alumni of All Ages and All Friends of Meridian
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:32 pm 

Charlie, your wisdom and insight are amazing.

I thank my God in my every remembrance of you, Meridian, and the wonderful childhoods some of us had.

Post subject: my list
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:29 pm 

Meridian Smells

Cedar shavings outside the Kate Griffin Woodshop
Honeysuckle vines on a summer night
The floor wax in the courthouse
The smell of Hot glass on asbestos layout plans in a neon sign shop
The creosote plant by the airport
Hot wrought iron on a blacksmiths forge.
New plies being peeled from logs for plywood
kiwi shoe polish/ Sunday dress shoes
firecrackers and torpedo poppers
Dixie Stockyard auctions
Mimosa tree blossoms at Uncle Jimmies at Highland park
Acres of curing oak wood for Hardwood flooring in Tuxedo
Meridian train station
Hot Ballast rocks on the railroad bed
Steel rails in the summer
Boxcars and trains
Meridian yellow clay / Garden soil
white clover and bees and flowers on a warm spring day
Water processing plant
Zoo at Highland Park
Bar-B-que at Freemans Drive inn
Bubble Jukebox at Gibsons drive in
Browns Newstand and shoeshine stand
Piney woods
old fashioned (Tinsleys) barbershops and witch hazel Astringent
Front street feed and seed Store
Magnolia Cotton Company (Baled Cotton)
Oil paint fron Mrs Keens art studio
Fresh caught fish
A bream Bed

All choices have consequences!
Not to choose is also a choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:49 pm 

Losing your sense of smell is so sad. The last thing I smelled was in 1993 right before I had brain surgery, my son had on Obsession cologne. What I would give to smell a fresh tomato, a new puppy, or a sweet, fresh-bathed and oiled baby!

I noticed the other day when I went up 20th street toward town that Watson's store by Highland Park has been torn down. Yall might have mentioned it on here - I just haven't gotten caught up on here yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:49 am 

Was that the same location known as Couch's in the old days? If so, I, too, noticed it had been razed when I was in Meridian week before last. Sorta makes me sad to see the old haunts disappear. :?

"The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed." -- Nicholas Chamfort

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:50 am 

Couch's was on the corner of 41st Ave and 20th St. and Watson's was on the corner of 41st Ave and 19th St. Both have been closed and torn down for quite some time.

They were both open when I taught swimming lessons and was a lifeguard at HP. I was always partial to Watson's. Their snowballs had more juice in them than Couch's.

The Carousel has a small snack stand where you can get cotton candy, popcorn and snow balls etc. when they are open, otherwise, their is no place around the park for snacks, drinks etc. I gave directions to some out of towners on how to get to the "merry-go-round" yesterday. As far as I know it is doing well. I think it is opened daily during the summer and weekends the rest of the year. It can also be rented out for birthday parties and other events.

One other thing, this has to do with sights during the summer. During our 20 years living in Oakland Heights we never saw the first lightning bug (fire flies). However, over here on 31st Street, (down the street from the high school), we have them by the dozens. I love to sit out in the back yard around dusk and watch them fly around. Bridget and I were walking around dusk one evening last week and we saw quite a few down 31st and on Parkway. Does anybody know why? We have a number of fruit trees, bushes and pecan trees etc. in our backyard. Does that have anything to do with it?
When I was growing up on 18th Street (up the hill from Burnetts Grocery) we had lightning bugs all over the place. We had a bunch of oak trees, sweet gums and one hickory tree in the backyard but no fruit trees. I was just curious if anyone else had any thoughts on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:54 pm 

John... that's because when I grew up in Oakland Heights (53rd ave) we caught them into extinction :lol: They were there back then .... wayyyyyyyyyyyy back then. That was a nightly thing to do was catch those "lightnin bugs" in a jar...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:44 pm 

John, strange that you mention lightning bugs.

We were just talking about it that we have not seen any on the Coast in years. Even before Hurricane Katrina we didn't see any. We think the extensive bug spraying (fog machines) to kill mosquitos has also killed the lightning bugs.

However, before we left Meridian it was getting to where you seldom saw any where we lived (near Brookshire's Lake). Maybe the fog machine there was killing them off too. I dunno.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:07 am 

John
In your post, you mention growing up on 18th St., up the hill from Burnette's. We lived in a rented house at 2411 18th St. from about '63 'till I left in '67 and returned from the service in '69. Classmates in the neighborhood included Linda Peacher and Bernie Beasley on 25th Ave. I have been up and down that hill many times going to and from Burnette's.
Bill Drew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:35 am 

I remember the ammonia smell at the icehouse on 5th St between 16th and 17th Avenue. That's where I would pick up the Meridian Star for my paper route. Across the street was a boat and motor place and on the corner was Hudnall's Grocery. At the time I lived at 1216 16th Ave., next door to the Peaveys. Also in the neighborhood were Charlie Mckinley, Wanda Pulliam,and Sharon Patey to name a few. Sharon married Rusty Williams. I'm sure they are proud of their Granddaughter Hayley who is the lead singer with the group Paramore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:50 am 

Bill, Charlie McKinley was my Luke grandparents' landlord at 1300 16th Avenue, right across the street from the Peaveys.

What was the name of the lady who taught piano lessons right next door to them?

When there were loud thunderstorms, my pet dog, an Eskimo Spitz named Sambo, would go from our house to Grandmother Luke's back porch and scratch her screen door until she let him in.

Right after I moved to Atlanta in 1985, I rode Amtrak to Meridian one weekend. When I introduced myself to a group of women on the train, one of them said, "I know you, your dog used to go to your Grandmother's place in bad weather. One time, he got confused, and came to my house, shivering with fear. I knew whose dog he was, so I called your grandmother to come get him." I told her that I remembered when that happened. I think I went and retrieved Sambo myself. She remembered me and the incident 25 or 30 years later. Wow!

I can't remember the lady's name, but she was related, by blood or marriage to Billy Faulkner, who died around 1961 or so, as a young man, when he and his wife wouldn't let the hospital give him blood transfusions because of their religious beliefs. It made national news and was covered from Meridian by a then young and unknown reporter named Dan Rather. Billy Faulkner was a drummer in the Meridian Wildcat Band with me, Tony Storey, and Bob Chatham.

The lady I talked to may have been your next door neighbor.

Sambo was known to take several different routes to Grandmother's apartment. Mapquest's route is .79 of a mile. I thought it was further than that.

Oh, the stuff I remember!

I thank my God in my every remembrance of you, Meridian, and the wonderful childhoods some of us had.

Last edited by Jeff East on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:59 am 

Linda, we used to catch 'em in jars as well.

Bob, I believe you are right about pesticides from the fog machine killing off the lightning bugs as well as the mosquitos. I have been told that they have stopped doing that here in Meridian (no confirmation) and that as result lightning bugs are making a comeback. I hope that is the case anyway. I don't believe that the fog machine was any help in controlling the mosquitos, (we used to love running after it when it came in the neighborhood, the fog was like pea soup, it would be so thick). However, one summer, my older brother tripped in the fog and broke his arm. Our Mom was not too keen on us chasing the fog machine after that happened :cry: :( .

Bill, we lived at 2611-18th Street. Mom and Dad bought the house around 1951 and we owned it until after my Dad died 1985. I knew the Peachers, Diane and I went to school together. She is now a veternarian here in Meridian. Our cousins Tommy and Katherine Walker lived on 24th Avenue between 17th and 18th Street. Tommy worked for the MFD for many years as an Inspector and Katherine was a RN for many years.
We ran those hills by foot and by bike for many years growing up. When Burnett's was closed we would use the parking lot as a race track, a curb divided it long ways and it was a perfect lap for racing. We also built ramps (like evil knievel) and would have contests to see who go the highest and longest off the ramp. We did not have helmets or pads, it is wonder we all survived without serious injury. Of course, in those days, if you got hurt while playing, most of the time you just dealt with it and kept on playing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:28 am 

John, you were talking about keeping going after getting hurt.

At 22, I was seriously hurt in an automobile accident. Thrown through the windshield at somewhere between 90 and 110 MPH, while hitchhiking, I never thought my face would look presentable again. Some might say that I was right. :D :lol: :P :wink:

Naw, God amazingly healed me, physically and emotionally, without any surgery, although it took about two years. I was back working 60 hours per week as an accountant just three weeks after the wreck.

In the hospital, right after the wreck, they did x-rays on me. My face and chest had slammed into the hood and the dashboard. One of the x-rays showed that I had a broken rib that had healed. I decided that I had broken it in a Marion Park School fall from a trapeze on the playground. I just went back to class. The broken rib healed by itself. It took me about 12 years to find out that it had happened.

Today, they would have checked me out. Most families today would sue the school system, the principal, the teacher, and everyone else that they could think of.

Just before she died at 92, the hospital discovered that my Grandmother Luke had broken a leg years earlier, but had not told anyone about it. Her broken leg had healed itself, too.

Last edited by Jeff East on Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:24 pm 

I was Jeff, you know when we were kids, if you got hurt and went inside to get Momma to "fix it", she would not usually let you go back outside. As a result, we would avoid that, if at all possible. Of course, if it was real bad, then you would have to get Mom to doctor you.

Mainly, we wanted to stay outside and keep riding or playing and usually a minor hurt or injury was not going to stop us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:35 am 

John:

Not long after we moved back to Meridian (1966) we began buying our groceries at Burnett's there on 26th Avenue. Made many a trip there with wifey, and many times stopped off there on the way home from work with a list that wifey had called in to me.

There was a time - way, way back - when there were three Burnett's grocery stores in Meridian. The one on 26th Avenue, on on 8th Street at 28th Avenue, and one over near Rush Hospital.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:46 am 

Bob, as a Hardin's Bread route driver, my father, John F. East, delivered bread daily to two of those Burnett Grocery stores. I don't thing he delivered any to the one on 8th Street. He also called on Anders Grocery Store and Chaney's when it was behind Anders, across from Anderson's Hospital. M.R. "Bilbo" Anders was Daddy's best friend; they were like brothers.

At different times, Spud and I rode with him on his route. As a child, I knew Leland Chaney for years before I met his daughter, June. She and I dated for about 3 years.

Most teenage boys in Meridian knew "Chaney". He was a big NY Yankees fan and wasn't shy about it. Most of us also knew James "Lucky" Bryant, who owned and operated The Orange Bowl. Baseball played a big role in our roles back then, and Chaney and Lucky both spent a lot of time with us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:41 pm 

Jeff, do you remember that the building housing Ander's Grocery had one of these corner doors? As a kid I thought that was the coolest thing. All other buildings had doors in the side of them, but at Ander's it was a corner door.

Seems like the old drug store next to Weidmann's had a corner door too. Was that Lide and Cheatham's Drug Store? All I remember was that there was a drug store there way back in my childhood memories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 am 

Wow! You just brought back a long-forgotten memory. When I was a very, very small girl I remember going with my mother to get Daddy from work one evening. He worked at Sears. I met him at the door [as I often did], and we walked down to that drugstore to buy a box of candy for my mother [I imagine it was Valentine's day or their anniversary or something of the sort]. I have not thought of there being a drug store there for at least fifty years. :?

[Incidentally, I've been without a computer at work for a week now and it will be the first of next week before my new one gets here. So, that's why I'm not posting much this week. Right now I'm on my boss's computer before he gets in.]

"The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed." -- Nicholas Chamfort

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:55 am 

Yeah, Bob, I remember Anders Grocery's corner door.

Donna, my Mother once worked at that drugstore near Weidmann's that you and Bob talked about. She was working at the old Penny's Grocery Store across the street from The Meridian Star when she met Daddy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:17 am 

You guys are great.You are bringing back all sorts of memories(smells etc) The one I will never forget and was mentioned at an earlier time is the coffee roasting at Nylons. That aroma filled the city :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:31 am 

Mike, surely you remember Chaney and Lucky!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next