Meridian High Alumni Message Board

A Gathering Place for MHS Alumni of All Ages and All Friends of Meridian
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:44 pm 

I got the idea for this topic from one of my posts under Phrases I (We) Miss Hearing.

I got to thinking about some of the smells that I fondly remember from my boyhood days in Meridian.

Here are twenty-five of mine:

HARDIN'S BREAD BAKING
NIOLON'S COFFEE BREWING
DOUGHNUTS BAKING
SAWDUST AT THE FAIRGROUNDS
BASEBALLS AND BASEBALL GLOVES
NEWBORN PUPPIES AND KITTENS
SNOWBALLS (UNCLE JIMMY'S AND AT HIGHLAND PARK)
CHLORINE IN THE HIGHLAND PARK SWIMMING POOL
SUNTAN LOTION
SHOE POLISH
FRIED CHICKEN COOKING
FRESHLY MOWN GRASS
A CRISP FALL OR WINTER EVENING AT RAY STADIUM
HAMBURGERS COOKING AT THE ORANGE BOWL
PRONTO PUPS AT THE FAIR
MY DATES' PERFUMES
DADDY'S VITALIS
GILLETTE SHAVING CREAM
NEW SHOES
EASTER BASKETS
MODELING CLAY
FRESHLY SHARPENED PENCILS
NEWLY SHINED SHOES
THE OILY FLOORS AT KATE GRIFFIN JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL
THE MERRY-GO-ROUND AT HIGHLAND PARK

I thank my God in my every remembrance of you, Meridian, and the wonderful childhoods some of us had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:59 pm 

The fog machine
and
honeysuckle on warm summer evenings.

"The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed." -- Nicholas Chamfort

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:43 am 

With everyone using gas grills nowadays, I miss the smell of lighter fluid on charcoal briquets. Whenever I catch a whiff of someone firing up a real old fashion charcoal grill, it takes me back to my childhood in a heartbeat. :?

"The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed." -- Nicholas Chamfort

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:36 am 

Sometimes during baseball seasons, I remember the smells of leather, wood, cowhide, and grass -- leather gloves, wood bats (imagine that), cowhide baseballs, and freshly mown grass or grass on me and my clothes.

I also fondly remember the smells of concession stands -- at Buckwalter Stadium, Shamrock Field, Southside Field, Highland Park, and Ray Stadium. Hotdogs, hamburgers, pronto pups, onions, french fries, snowballs (not snowcones), and grease, among others.

Ray Stadium had a unique smell about it, especially on cold mornings during our first period marching rehearsals. For almost five years, every morning during football season, and on through state band contests in April, I started out each school day marching inside Ray Stadium.

Naw, Donna, it didn't take me five years to get through high school. About 10 of us got in the Wildcat Band when we were 8th graders.

Jimmy Mack May, now living in Virginia, is the only person that I remember who made it in the 7th grade. In recent years, I've heard him play with Jimmy and the Jokers, once at a reunion concert at the KC Hall, and more recently at our 45th high school reunion in 2005.

I thank my God in my every remembrance of you, Meridian, and the wonderful childhoods some of us had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:17 pm 

Speaking of cooking out and concession stands, we were recently barbecuing chicken for supper one night and I got to thinking back to when I was growing up in Meridian. It seemed that churches and other groups were always having barbecue chicken fundraisers at that big stone shelter in Highland Park. I don't EVER hear of groups having barbecue chicken fundraisers anymore. Do you? Maybe health codes prohibit such. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:36 pm 

Do you remember when the wind was blowing just right that the stench of the paper mill in Demopolis would waft as far as Meridian? That always seemed incredible to me, but that's what everyone said was the source of that foul odor. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:08 pm 

Donna, the Church of the Mediator still has barbecued pork and beef dinner fundraisings every year. My Mother and I are not sure if they also serve barbecued chicken. I think I remember having some barbecued chicken from them five or ten years ago.

Meridian churches, the V.F.W., and I think the Shriners had barbecued chicken fundraisers for years.

In the old days, of dinosaurs and Edsels, fairly frequently, we got a whiff from the paper mill at Demopolis. I've been through Demopolis several times in the last few years, and I don't remember smelling it on those occasions.

There is also a paper mill at Monroe, Louisiana. When we used to visit relatives there, it smelled awful. They said it smelled like money to them.

Back in the days of Cicero Ferrell and Studebakers, occasionally we also got some whiffs from the sewage treatment plant across from Key Field.

Gee whiz, our buddy Robert Wright was always talking about how we needed to remain positive in our discussions. This topic sho' nuff ain't too positive. In fact, it downright stinks! :D :lol: :oops: 8) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:05 pm 

DONNA, SOME OF THE BASEBALL ASSOCIATIONS STILL HAVE BARBECUE CHICKEN DINNERS HERE FOR FUND RAISERS, SO DO THE VFW & THE MASONIC LODGE.

I USE TO LOVE THE SMELL OF NEW SHOES
THE LEATHER IN THE SHOE SHOPS.
DONUTS BAKING AT SHIPLEYS
THE SMELL OF BOOKS AT THE LIBRARY

Aspire To Inspire Before You Expire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:46 pm 

I fondly remember the smell of the department stores' fabric departments when I was growing up. Every fall and spring my mother took me to pick out patterns and fabric for her to sew my clothes for either the new school year or for Easter and spring.

And, I loved the smell of those big rolls of oilcloth in the dime stores. Folks used to buy that by the yard for their kitchen tablecloths. We have a general store in the town where I live now that still allows you to buy oil cloth by the yard. I just love that smell. My grandmother in Chunky always had an oilcloth tablecloth in her kitchen. Nice memories.
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:33 am 

When I moved to Pascagoula back in the 1970’s there were a fresh batch of awful smells. The paper mill certainly made a contribution. Along with it was a cat food plant that periodically let off a powerful stink. But the stinker of all stinkers was the pogey plant. Pogey boats go out in the Gulf and catch millions of tiny fish called Menhaden. These things are brought back and processed into fish oil and fish meal. When the pogey plant was processing it produced an especially fetidly noxious emission. Making for some extraordinary olfactory distress is the pogey plant was located across the Escatawpa River from the paper mill. When all of that foulness blended the combination was horrendous. Back during the open window days, before schools and businesses were air conditioned, the stinkiness made for some tough times. One quote that came out of the stinky days was “it smells like it would taste fuzzy.”

Last edited by Curtis Makamson on Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:37 am 

I love that, "It smells like it would taste fuzzy." Very descriptive. :)

When I moved to Front Royal, there was an Avtex/Viscose plant that put out a neverending stench 24/7. It would wake me up in the mornings. I couldn't stand it. I asked a church member one day if you ever got used to that awful smell? She answered, "What smell?" So, I guess that answered my question. I never did get used to it. But, a couple of years after we moved here, the plant closed and took the odor with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:28 am 

Donna, over the weekend, it hit me that some of the smells you were blaming on the Demopolis paper mill may have been coming from the sewage treatment plant not too far from you. Sometimes, I have a nose for getting to the bottom of things. Now, watch it, Dent! :D :lol: :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:24 pm 

SQUEAKIE I STILL REMEMBER THE AWFUL SMELL OF THE POGEY FISH WHEN WE LIVED IN PASCAGOULA. A NEIGHBOR TOLD ME THEY USED THAT OIL TO MAKE LIPSTICK. WAS HE JOKING OR IS THAT CORRECT ?
IF SO JUST THINK OF ALL YOU GUYS WHO KISSED US & SAID IT TASTE Soooo GOOD. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:03 pm 

Judy, I've been told that stuff is used in some cosmetics. I don't know if that is so or just a story that sounded worth retelling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:00 pm 

To answer about the fish oil and cosmetics. Yes, it is used in the makeing of cosmetics as well as the throw up (puke) of whales in the making of perfume. I worked for Pfizer Inc. when they owned Coty Cosmetics. There are quite a lot of unusal things that go into the making of cosmetics and meds. and anti-biotics. :P :D

Charlie Haguewood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:25 pm 

THANKS CHARLIE. :roll: I THINK. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:40 pm 

How about the smell of Crayola crayons?

Now days when one of the grandkids has his Crayola crayons out drawing with them, the smell takes me back to elementary school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:03 am 

I still love the smell of Crayola crayons, too. Actually, I loved all the smells of "new school supplies". Always seemed so full of promise. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:41 am 

I like Crayola crayons smell, too.

I always liked school and would even go to school sick. But I didn't like the beginning of school. A new beginning, with a new teacher, a new classroom, sometimes new classmates, new subjects, and getting settled were stressful to me.

I was desperately shy, and rarely spoke up in class, but always made friends. In fact, I didn't begin to lose some of that shyness until I joined the Jackson Jaycees in 1971. Then I became President of the Jackson Jaycees and Mississippi Jaycee of the Year. There I go braggin' ag'in.

Bob and Tony may be able to vouch for the fact that I was shy in the Wildcat Band. On second thought, they may have a hard time remembering back over 50 years ago, literally. :D :lol: 8)

How in the world did I wind up talkin' about my shyness in a discussion of the smell of Crayola crayons?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:39 am 

Jeff, it is called "Rambling" or going off into a Tangent.

:evil: :lol: :D :evil:

Charlie Haguewood